Monday, June 19, 2006

Wonderful !!!!

Wow what a fantastic experience!!!!

I set two alarms for Sunday morning, one at 3.20am and another for 3.30am. I need not have bothered as I was already awake. Trying not to wake the wife and kids, I snuck out of bed into the lobby area of my hotel room. I put my clothes on and pick up my "white" bag and cycle pump.

I crept down stairs and into the lounge area of the hotel, it was a small hotel and the staff had laid out weetabix and milk and two glasses of OJ.
At 04:15 my taxi arrived and 40 minutes later dropped me off at the venue.

"OK! I need to check my bike and pump up my tyres".
"Wow, everybody has the same thoughts".
"BANG !!!!"

"Oh cripes what was that" ..... somebody had over-pumped their tyres, poor chap. Fortunately a mechanic was on stand-by.

I finished with my bike and started to put on my wetsuit ..... Ooops I need the toilet. Hmmm .... a long queue.


We were all called to start the swim. The klaxon sounded and we were off. I was at the back of the pack and started to swim, but I was disoriented and could not stop swallowing water. After a minute I finally calmed down and got into a rhythm, a mixture of breaststroke and front crawl. The swim was tough, but I was so pleased to have finished and stumbled out 42 minutes later.

I ran through transition and out onto my bike.
I hit the first hill after a matter of minutes. The cycle course was very tough, several 14% hills. During the descents I would zoom pass several people, I guess I was good at going downhill. This one chap shouted across ..... "this is the third time you have passed me on the descents" as we just hit the start of a long climb he added "I guess I'll see you later"???

With 10 miles to go I started to get cramp, I managed to push through and pulled into transition with a cycle time of 3 hours 45 minutes.


The run was difficult with a nasty hill climb. We did three loops of a circuit and the supporters and fellow runners were very friendly.
I hit the 12 mile marker I started to smile, when I hit 13 miles, I was laughing, and when I came onto the red carpet and the finish-line, I was laughing and crying.

I don't quite know what was happening, but crossing the finish line was a tremendously wonderful feeling.
I have not stopped smiling since.

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Nice work completing your race, and the best thing about it is it was fun!

Good luck for your future races.